Friday, February 22, 2013

A few wool felt projects…or what to do with that wool felt you made!

100_7188

I posted a few weeks ago on making wool felt from thrifted sweaters, scarves and blanket…now I have a few flower projects for you that are easy to make. You can find many different templates by googling felt flower template or felt flower pattern

100_7181

I made this one with a simple single template and I used the copy machine to shrink it and make several more sizes to stack. 

100_7120

Cut the pattern out of cardstock or regular paper…then cut out the felt.

100_7116

Just keep cutting until you have the number you want, use wild colors or keep it traditional, stack two three or four layers (or more!).  They don’t have to be perfect…I am going to show you a trick to make the edges look rounded.

100_7119

Now take some thick thread (I used bakers twine because I didn’t want to go upstairs to get thread out of my sewing room!) and tack the pieces together snugly and tie the thread on the back.

100_7126

I made this one the same way with a little different shape.

100_7127

Now we are going to put them in a bag to wash them. 

100_7133

I don’t really want to shrink them any further, just smooth out the cut edges, so I tossed them in a bag in a regular cold load.  This zip bag was made by my son in Home Ec (or what every they call it these days)!   Zip up the bag, add some detergent and let’s start a second kind of flower!

100_7129

I like to use the ribbed cuffs and hem of the sweaters for these flowers.  Just cut two strips about 1/2-3/4 inch wide and as long as you want the flower to be across.  Play with the process and you will be able to judge how long to cut them.  You can also just trim them off when you get to the size you want.

100_7134

Add a drop or two of hot glue to one of the ends, hold them together and wind them in a circle.

100_7141

Keep adding the glue as you wrap the pieces around.

100_7142

Hot glue the ends down.  Cut a leaf from green about the size of the circle except teardrop shaped.

100_7154

Cut a small hole in the pointy side of the leaf so the hair clip can be stuck in there.  Stick the hair clip into the leaf…

100_7157

Add some hot glue to the back and stick on the leaf!

100_7145

Now those are done!

100_7158

You can make the flowers look different using different sides of the ribbing or cutting the pieces narrower….actually there are a lot of variables to give you a different look.

100_7180

I dried the flowers in the dryer and this is the finished look you get…no ragged cut edges!  I used two buttons for the center of this one…

100_7177

And a soft pink glass vintage button for the center of the pastel flower. 

PicMonkey Collage (2)

Use your imagination to create so many different variations!

PicMonkey Collage (1) (1)

Check out my Pinterest Board Wool Felt, Felted Wool for more ideas on what to do with your stash of wool felt! 

This was originally posted at A Jennuine Life, thanks Jenn for having me! 

signature21

10 comments:

Designed Decor said...

These are so cute and creative! You are very talented!

Leisa @ Day by Day said...

Great flowers! I love felted wool--they look great!

Stella Nemeth said...

The flowers are so cute. I don't have a use for something like that, but they look like a lot of fun to make. I just might try some myself.

Emily Thompson said...

super cute!! Love these! I popped over from Sumos Sweet Stuff. I host a Tasteful Tuesdays Link party that I would love for you to bring this to! www.nap-timecreation.com

Ana Love Craft said...

All adorable!Thanks so much for sharing.
Have a fabulous week!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Ana Dziengel said...

Thanks for sharing! These look really great! Pinning it!

Shannon Barefoot said...

Love these - especially the rolled up sweater cuff ones :)

madcapfrenzy said...

So pretty! I adore the stacked heart. I've never felted before, but I just might have to give it a shot!
I would love to also invite you to join Totally Tuesday and link up your blog for my first ever link party: http://www.madcapfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/02/totally-tuesday-1-link-party-time.html

Jill said...

Such beautiful flowers Ellen!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Mommy Evolution said...

I really love the ones with the vintage earring center :-) Please share your project at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.