Thursday, September 2, 2010

Baby Boy Quilt and Burp Cloths

I have been working fast and furious on items to donate to my church fundraiser (Sept 18) and my family's MDA fundraiser (Sept. 25).  I always put together baby baskets, usually one for girls and one for boys.  Well, I needed a boys item to design the basket around.
At Goodwill, I found baby blankets new in the package from Target, $1 for two receiving blankets!
I grabbed those things so fast and dunked them into my basket. There were eight blankets, so I spent a total of $4 on them.
I cut them into burp cloths first, and then used the spare pieces that were too small for burp cloths (I usually make them 12 x 18").  The pieces are actually rectangles, and I thought the quilt turned out so cute. 
I used some spray quilt adhesive and actually machine quilted it myself!  I was very pleased how it turned out.
It is really good sized for a baby quilt. 
I used a cotton flannel for the backing and quilted it with my new favorite thread, the Signature denim color variegated  thread that I used on these washcloths.  I pieced some batting scraps that I had so the batting was free!  The backing cost me $2.44.  So, that is $6.44 for a quilt and 8 burp cloths.
I just quilted about 1/4" from each seam on the front, easy but I like the quilting!
The binding I used the minuscule pieces of the blankets that were left...I had six inches of fabric that was 3" wide when I was done with the burp cloths and the quilt.
The burp cloths I sewed wrong sides together, rounding the corners and then top stitched them after I turned them right side out.
I mixed up the colors, making the front and back out of different fabrics.
So cute!

34 comments:

ProcraftinatingPA said...

Awesome!! And super thrifty! Love it! Some little baby boy is going to be very lucky!!

Katie said...

You'd never be able to tell this is a "bargain" blanket. It's so cute and I bet it's very soft too. Someone's baby is going to be so warm and snuggly in it. I'm so glad you added this to A Crafty Soiree too! I noticed the Halloween bunting is on twice, so I'll manually delete the second one. The linky is on both mine and Malia's blog so no matter which one you add it on, your link shows up both places. Wasn't sure if that was the reason for the double link, but wanted to tell you just in case it was☺

Simple Stitches AZ ~ Rachelle S. said...

These are awesome & so cute! You definately scored on the Goodwill buy! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing!

Rachelle S.
www.chelstamps.blogspot.com

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Thanks for linking this up too. Absolutely darling!

Unknown said...

Awesome! Can I be like you? :) I love to make baby things! I too make flannel burp cloths, and there is just nothing like a good flannel blanket for winter! If you like to use flannel, JoAnns puts it on a great sale on Black Friday, that's not too far away! I usually go early and stock up for the year!

Rene' said...

These are so cute!!! Great idea for the burp cloths. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica Kelly said...

great! such a thrifty project. congrats on the finish!

Kristie said...

Great idea! Looks awesome.
Visiting form amyouwho :-)

Terrell said...

These patterns are just super sweet!!
~Terrell @ FFD~

Michelle (Lemonadegal) said...

What a great idea to use the blankets for the quilt. It looks fabulous! I am sure it will be a star at the fundraiser! Thanks for sharing.

Tasha said...

These turned out just beautiful. Really. And $4 for all of them. Amazing. You have been one very busy crafting lady. All your hard work is paying off. Everything is fabulous. Thank you for linking all of your links. They really do make me happy.

Katie B said...

Such a great idea! These are perfect for your fund-raisers.

Haylee said...

I can't believe how creative you are. I would have never thought of that. Everything looks awesome.

Nina... said...

I love Goodwill. You never know what treaures you will find! Great use of the blankets. You turned them into lovely creations!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Great work and so glad it all came together for your charity work!

pinksuedeshoe said...

What a great little quilt. And a lucky find at the thrift store!

ktquilts said...

Awesome, and great way to increase your giving!!!

Leslie said...

what a great way to use those receiving blankets!!! it looks great

Karen said...

That is one fabulously snuggly looking baby quilt and what a bargain. Great story how you found the fabric.

Kim said...

What beautiful work! I'm following from Tatertots and Jello.

Polly said...

I stumbled upon your blog and happened to notice that you are from Columbia. So am I!
I actually work for The Crossing. I say that because I noticed you made this for a church fundraiser. What church do you go to?
-Polly
www.learnandgopollyco.blogspot.com

Roeckers said...

What a great idea!

Larri said...

What a creative use of ready-mades! Hope the fundraisers go well. Stopping by from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

Day before Michelle said...

Too cute! Stopping by from Sew & Tell :)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Those are a great idea and that's wonderful of you to donate your time and skill.

Courtney said...

These are a great idea. I might make those burb cloths for my own new addition.

Garilyn S said...

Great job! Love how thrify it was.

Jill said...

Gosh you have been busy again! What lovely baskets you've made up! Hope they raise lots at the fundraiser!!

Thanks for linking again!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Very Cute!!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

That is adorable, I LOVE the colors!!!!

AUDRA said...

Wow you are busy!! :)
link this one too!!! Please. :)

Melissa said...

Those are so stinkin' cute! I love the fabric and I love how it turned out. Thanks for stopping over at Tuesday Tell All!

Lindy said...

Adorable quilt - great fabrics you put together...

amylouwhosews said...

So cute! I think it's hard to find cute stuff for boys. You did a great job!